Friday, August 21, 2009

Hospitals, dehydration, doctors, and strep.

Oh its been awhile and I have LOTS of updating to do for the month of August.

I start school on the 31st of this month. I am excited, but at the same time...anxious. It seems like a lifetime since I've been to school, but I will be successful and I will do well! I AM WOMAN, HEAR ME ROAR!!

Anyway, last week, the week of Aug 10th- Sophie was sick. Again. with a virus. Poor thing was miserable and nothing made her happy. It was frustrating and sad. There's nothing like a sick, unhappy baby that can us Moms feel inadequate and vulnerable.

So this week, guess what?! Mommy comes down with what Sophie had (so we think). I actually started feeling sick Friday, Aug 14th. I worked all weekend, though, and continued to gradually feel worse. On Monday, my glands on my upper neck were very sore and my lips were getting unusually chapped- cracked and sores all over them. Monday evening at 6pm, I went to the walk-in clinic at SOFHA. I had a low-grade fever and my pulse was quite elevated. They did a 7 minute strep screen which came back negative. So they sent of a culture to the lab at JCMC, just to be safe, and told me to take it easy and drink lots of fluids (I was dehydrated) and no working for at least two days. Well, I come home and drink 1 cup of water and decide to go to bed early (around 8pm). Woke up quite a few time during the night feeling horrible. Got up at 5:30am and just couldn't make myself get up and face the day and I knew that something was wrong. Woke up Michael and we took Sophie to my in-laws. We then went to JCMC and went to the ER. The ER transferred me to The Women's Center (since I am almost 26 weeks pregnant). They hook me up to the fetal monitors and take my B/P. BP is 90/48. But Hannah is fine and kicking. As it turns out, I was extremely dehydrated. They stuck me with an IV 4 times and finally found a vein. The gave me 2 1/2 liters of fluids before they let me go home. I went home around 4pm with instructions to take my phenergan as needed, tylenol for headache, and tums.
When I got home, I wondered why I wasn't feeling any better. Worse, actually. And to beat it all, I started having constant heartburn, which is unusual for me. Ate tums after tums and no relief! Dealt with it until Wednesday, and then called the Doctor on-call. Dr. Hinton told me to try Zantac and if that didn't work, go back to the hospital. The last thing I wanted to do was go back to the hospital, so Michael went to walmart and got the Zantac. Took it, helped a tiny bit, but still had the constant heartburn. I still refused to go back to the hospital. So I stuck it out. Anyway...all the days are kind of running together, so I'll skip to today and how its going....
As it turns out, my culture came back from the hospital and I have strep-for the first time in my life...and I'm not exactley thrilled, but I am SO glad that I have meds to get better. I found that out last night about the strep. Well the past week, I've gotten sores in my mouth. On the roof of my mouth, around my gums, on my tongue, inside my lips, and my chapped lips? Nope- Severe Cold Sores...which I have never had the "pleasure" of experiencing before. Bring on the Carmex!! And because of these sores in my mouth, I haven't been able to eat anything. So today, the Doctor prescribled something for me called "magic mouthwash" that supposedly helps with pain and healing from the sores. So that's where I am right now. Just waiting and biding my time, and praying that I feel better soon because I feel frazzled. Luckily, I am a very blessed person with lots of willing babysitters! So although I miss Sophie, she has been in the care of her grandparents for most of the week. So I'm not too worried about her catching what I have because she's not been around me enough to catch it.

No comments:

Post a Comment